Friday, August 14, 2026

The Case of Luigi Mangione: Is There a Broader Lesson?

 If We Can't Change the Past, Can We Learn From It?

Let me begin by saying clearly that I do not believe there is ever a justification for murder or for intentionally harming another person. I believe in kindness, compassion, and care for others. With that said, I want to reflect on the ongoing headlines about Luigi Mangione and ask whether there may be a broader lesson in this tragedy.

If the reports are accurate that he struggled with pain and faced complications in getting medical care, one question is worth asking: did he know that help might have been available? For example, a patient advocate may have been able to help him navigate the healthcare system and seek the care he needed before his pain and frustration escalated.

Nothing can change what happened or lessen the horror of his actions. But perhaps there is still a lesson here: people in serious pain or distress need to know where to turn for help before they reach a crisis point

No comments: