My Opinion
I have an opinion on the experience surrounding Lindsey Clancy.
I call it an “experience,” rather than a “case,” because my comments are not
about the legal proceedings. As a mother who experienced troubling feelings after
giving birth, and as a patient advocate, I believe this terrible medical
experience offers an important lesson that demands our attention. Patient advocates,
please listen: there is something here we need to learn.
After I had my second child, I felt deeply disconnected. I
was ashamed and could not imagine sharing my thoughts or feelings with anyone. Still,
they frightened me enough that I went to my doctor. She sat with me and
explained that my body had been through a traumatic experience. I had also lost
a child years earlier. She told me that my feelings were natural, and then she
sent me home.
Years later, I supported a young single mother at a medical appointment.
She told the doctor that she disliked her child and did not feel love for her
baby. The doctor attributed those feelings to the stress of raising a child
alone while struggling to make ends meet, and then sent us on our way. I was then learning my role as a patient support person.
As people discuss the deaths of three young children and
reports that their mother experienced mental illness after childbirth, we
should recognize that more may be needed than reassurance that these feelings
will simply pass. Although reports say she sought help, I am not commenting on the
specific circumstances of her case. My point is broader: friends and family should
be prepared to check in with new mothers, and new mothers should not feel
ashamed or afraid to speak about frightening feelings. We must use experiences
like these to open the door to honest conversation, attentive care, and
meaningful support.
.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment