Saturday, November 29, 2008

Compassion in Health Care

I recently had the honor of speaking at the Colorado Patient Safety Coalition’s 8th annual conference. This coalition is made up of professionals who are moving forward in the advancement of patient safety. The conference was only one day but very informative and probably one of the better conferences I have ever gone to. I heard Dr. Nancy Nielson, President of the AMA speak about the loss of her dear friend from a medical error and share her pain as well as her frustration. I am no longer amazed at who, and how many people have experienced first hand the harm done by the medical system (there is no doubt all the good there is done). It has just become a matter of time until those who have not experienced a medical error or adverse event, will.

I had the opportunity to have dinner with and hear Dr. Robin Youngson speak about Compassion in Healthcare. It’s a way of life that may need to be learned but is well worth the time. To get to hear Dr. Youngson was an honor. I can only hope that some of him can rub off and I could learn from him the meaning of compassion in every day living. You don’t need to be a doctor to learn to be compassionate, just human.

No comments: