Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tameka

I went to the wake of Tameka today to see her husband Joseph and Tameka's very loving family. They displayed her wedding gown and wedding photos. Their young son ran around the funeral home oblivious to the pain that others held in their heart.

Tameka struggled for 11 months following a botched surgery and numerous other surgeries to repair the error. Tameka suffered from many, many infections. I have to wonder how things will ever change. How could this young, vibrant woman who had so much to live for die from something so preventable.

For eleven months this hospital became her home. Joseph spent as much time with her as humanly possible. I was privileged to be called in to help and get to know this family through Joseph's stories and memories of his wife.

In my conversation with the head of risk management a few months ago I was told that the husband isn't giving me the whole story. I never asked for stories or information. I wanted to make sure the husband had the information he wanted and his questions answered. Obviously, he had a right to be concerned. Now that Tameka is dead, I would like to tell them at the Long Island College Hospital "I told you so". But I wouldn't do that. It'S easy to find fault and demand answers following the treatment and yet another preventable death.

The Department of Health went in and found no violations. I went in and witnessed Tameka being treated by someone with no gloves and he never washed his hands. The nursing director pointed to her own photo on the wall when I asked her if she was in charge. When I asked each nurse their name, they scrambled for their name badges. One had to find it in another room. Not that any of this matters now.

I suggested that Joseph ask the doctor if we can find help for him to make better decisions. He told Joseph no, he was seeking advice from doctors within the same hospital. I reached out to the medical community for help. There was nothing they could do. Joseph was afraid to move his wife. She was too sick but that may have saved her. If she died because of the move, none of us could have lived with the guilt.

There is no easy answer. Joseph is warm, kind and a gentle soul with a lifetime of love left inside of him that he was supposed to share with his wife. Tameka, for many in that hospital she may be another statistic. But I will not soon forget her and what could have been if we were able to save her.

Joseph will go back to work in his hospital where he is employed to the loving community that surrounds and supports him. But love and caring just doesn't save lives. We have to start demanding better treatment or this will continue. We can not allow this to continue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.Lupus.
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man. 

Wyatt Hunter said...

My husband is 54 and has had Parkinson’s for around 3-4 years. It is a debilitating disease that only gets worse and needs some serious funding to find out 1 because the cure is out there. What causes it and 2. some better treatment for it which multivitamincare .org have the guaranteed cure for PD. He takes over 8 weeks treatment from Multivitamin care formula that finally cure him,as there is no-one available to help unless you have over $4,000.00 per week to pay for a Nurse, but with this herbal system you can get rid of your Parkinson effectively ,he had tremors for several years and was gradually becoming worse before we found PD supplement from Multivitamincare that was able to get rid of my husband disease and alleviate all symptoms within the short period of his usage.,they have the best medication for PD.