Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Politics and Patient Advocacy

What does today’s politics have to do with being a patient advocate?

In our Family Centered Patient Advocacy Training which is based on being a Patient Safety Advocate for friends, family or becoming a professional, we stress the importance of being a good listener and being objective.  This past election year and the past weeks have become a great test for these skills.

As I listen to the news, I hear opposing comments and ideas. Depending on what channel I watch there can be very strong opinions one way or another. One reporter or speaker won’t make me change my mind, won’t make me feel differently, but it gives me the skills to try to understand that what is being said is  important to the people saying it and the people supporting them.

I am glad that there are people speaking out on their beliefs.  That is important to our country.  It has never been OK to call names and poke fun of people’s looks or behavior when that is not the focus of the issues.  It loses credibility when I hear about the way a person dresses, walks or laughs and that becomes part of the discussion.

Being a patient’s advocate means being able to focus on facts and what really matters to the patient. Being objective which may mean putting your own feelings aside to listen and then allow a patient to make their own decisions, even if it’s not what you would want for yourself - or them. 

If you are a friend or family member acting as an advocate for a loved one who wants to have surgery but you don't think its a good idea, it means listening carefully and trying to understand what they want and why they want it that way. If you can’t get past your own needs then you may not be the best advocate.  Find an advocate that can be objective and right for the whole family. 

As I watch what looks like a civil war starting on our own soil, I want to get some good out of this.  It may be to just practice my listening.

3 comments:

Mariam said...


MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
Love Spells
Luck, Money Spells
Health, Well Being
Protection, Healing
Curses, ex, Breakups
NEW! Combo Spells
High Priestess Spells
Vampire Spells
Authentic Voodoo Spells
Custom, Other Spells
Business spells
Health/Healing spells
Curse removal
Job spells
Healing from all kind of diseases
Love binding
Barrenness(need a child)
Need love
Lottery Spells
Promotions
Success
Money rituals
winning court case
Divorce spells
Low sperm count
Infertility in women
Breast enlargement/reduction
Penis enlargement/reduction
YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com his facebook link https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014833723968 thanks

jhon alex said...

I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site.Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.
Patient Pay

Anonymous said...

I am ALEX and i want to thank DR.OTONU
for bringing back my ex lover, we broke
up for more than 8 month and she told me
that she will never want to see me in her life
again. i love her so much to the extend that
i could not think of dating any woman again, i
was confused and depress due to the love i
had for her,i did everything i could do to
have her come back to me but all went in
vain. so i decided to contact a spell caster, i
did not believe in spell casting i just want to
try it may be it would work out for me. i
contacted DR.OTONU for help,and he told
me that he have to cast a love spell on her, i
told him to do it. after 5 days my lover
called me and started to apologize for
leaving me and also she told me that she still
love me. i was very happy and i thank DR
OTONU for helping me get back my ex back
to my hands. his spell is the greatest of all
over the world, it was the love spell he cast
on my ex that make her come back to me.
all you ladies who want back their ex back i
want you to contact DR.OTONU for the
return of your ex lover and also your ex
girlfriend he can also cast any kind of spell
you want him to cast for you. his contact
email is( otonuspelltemple@gmail.com) or ( otonuspelltemple@yahoo.com)
or call him or add him on whatsapp with this telephone number (+2348169616855) just try him and there will be a
solution to your case.