Monday, June 27, 2011

Filming Surgery

Massachusetts bill would give patients the right to film surgery


Hospital officials say the measure would increase liability costs and present challenges to infection control. Physicians question the logistics of videographers in the OR.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2011/06/27/prsb0627.htm

I’m not sure I would support having my surgery filmed. If others want it on tape, so be it. I suppose the law is a good thing. But to have a video camera in the room, I would be afraid would be a terrible distraction. If I chose my doctor to do the surgery for all the right reasons, I’m not sure filming their behavior would be appropriate. And, for what reason? Assuming it would be for a lawsuit, the video would have to prove that there was malpractice. If they strayed away from policy and standards, was there damage done because of it? Infections surely can’t be videotaped and an item left inside doesn’t need a video. With the surgery itself be videotaped so the viewer(s) can see the accidental cut? So, now that it’s on video, does the patient heal faster? Or, will he doctor say it was because he/ she was distracted by the video?


I am in support of the legislation; I am just pretty sure I wouldn’t use it.

1 comment:

xlpharmacy said...

I had a surgery a few years ago, nothing serious just a broken wrist, but I would of love to have it on taped.